Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lita Ford vs. Pat Benatar?

It seems like everyone has an opinion on what 80s female rocker was cooler, Pat Benatar or Lita Ford? It all started this morning becuase of my hair and shirt so...that begs the question. Who is cooler?

Lita Ford had 2 huge hits: Kiss me Deadly and Close my Eyes Forever, which she sang with Ozzy Osbourne, cool in it's own right. Lita was cooler back in the day, she was named Best Female Artist by Guitar Magazine in 1989 and was in the Runaways with Joan Jett, who gave us I Love Rock and Roll. She is 100% bad girl.

Pat Benatar had 2 huge hits: Hit me with Your Best Shot and Love is a Battlefield (she may have more but I'm going with what I've seen on Karaoke song lists). Not 100% bad girl like Lita was.

Both can sing, both can play guitar so they are on even ground there but what Lita has that Pat doesn't have is that Lita dated one of my favorite bassists, Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue back in the day. Anyone that has entire chapters written about them in books is cooler in my mind.

I dare TheOptimist to come up with the degrees of separation between himself and Pat Benatar since he thinks she's cooler. If you do, I'll get you rolls from Bertucci's.

2 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

O my God, this is not even a contest. Pat Benatar is a classically trained opera singer who can belt out a tune. She didn't need to wear a skin tight thing (Lita in the Kiss Me Deadly) video to get noticed. Although many of us who were in our formative years in the 80s were really glad when Pat did dress to impress.

She won four grammies.

She was so popular that a joke was made about Pat Benatar clones in Fast Times at ridgemont High.

But lets get to the hits topic. Pat had so many top 40 hits it would make Lita Ford faint. Shadows of the Night, Hell is For Children, All Fired Up, Fire and Ice, Treat Me Right, Invincible, Promises in the Dark... the list goes on and on.

Her greatest hits album is full of songs everyone actually has heard, instead of Lita's three hits (Kiss Me Deadly, Close Your Eyes Forever and Poison.)

She is actually still touring.

Now Lita is cool in her own right. She was all sorts of cool, hot like the sun and could kick my butt in a fair fight. But she is not Pat Benatar. Pat Benatar was and is friggen amazing.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

There are three girls who look like Pat Benatar at our high school

http://www.gotwavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Fast_Times_At_Ridgemont_High=on-dope.mp3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home