Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Cars Reunited

I just heard that the Cars are playing some reunion shows.

The Cars are one of my favorite bands. Candy O, Panorama and Heartbeat City were constants in my cassette player (aaaa cassettes, that wonderful time between 8 tracks and CDs.) They are a great band.

But with Ben Orr gone, the Cars just aren't the same. Ric Okasik was great. But the Cars were a two singer band, and Orr's voice and style was as much of what the Cars were as Okasiks.

I really do wish the reunion tour goes great. But I just don't think I could bring myself to see it. Too sad and too much is missing. Sort of like Queen. Paul Rogers is great. But it ain't Queen. The name and ideas of the bands are pretty important to people. So throw a new name on the group of musicians and put out something new. That is what I want to see.

7 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Doug Haslam said...

Maybe Paul Rodgers can sing Ben Orr's parts.

I'm in favor of anything that boost's Elliott Easton's career. The Tiki Gods didn't quite cut it commercially.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Rogers is a great lead singer but I would rather see him with Bad Company. I don't think he quite fits the Freddie Mercury mold. That said I would like to see them in concert with with Paul Rogersdue to the fact he's one of my all time favorite lead singers.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Bad Company and the Firm were great. No doubts about that. But Paul Rogers singing "Save Me" just doesn't work for me. I would love to see what him and Brian May could do together, but I don't want to see them as Queen.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Doug Haslam said...

Ok, It's settled-- Paul Rodgers is the answer to every missing group member problem in music history--in fact, he can make a one-man industry of it!

A suggested line-up of concerts for next year:

Queen + Paul Rodgers
The Cars + Paul Rodgers
The Yardbirds + Paul Rodgers
The Beatles + Paul Rodgers
The Beach Boys + Paul Rodgers
Joy Division + Paul Rodgers
English Beat + "Ranking" Paul Rodgers

Heck, why not:
The Glenn Miller Orchestra + Paul Rodgers
The Andrews sisters + Paul Rodgers

yes, this could work...

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Todd said...

I like the video.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Queen of Spin (Susan K) said...

Hey I don't want to hear anything about Queen + Paul Rodgers. Until you are there you can't say anything.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Au contraire. I can say all I want. I am a hundred percent sure many singers would not be good replacements for Freddie Mercury.

- Boy George: Bad
- Sinead O'Connor: Bad
- The Guy from Poison: Bad
- Jon Bon Jovi: Bad
- Jessica Simpson: Bad
- Biz Markee: Bad

See, I can make all those assessments without having to see them in concert. Now Paul Rodgers is cool (Bad Company and the Firm were standards in my CD collection for years.) But Queen should not be touring again with him. His voice and personna don't mix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home