Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Who are the real Desperate Housewives? Big Love wins







VS.






I start out with two premises, but I'm open to suggestions:
There are a couple of suburban frisky family dramedies on the air - "Desperate Housewives" on Wisteria Lane and "Big Love" in an architecture marvel (three inter-connected houses with a pool) in Utah. So which show is worth watching? Or better yet is there a connection between the two and some fantasy that Americans covet? I don't know but some differentiators:

I haven’t seen more than five minutes of the "Desperate Housewives" - it was the pilot when I figured it wasn’t for me. There probably aren’t any good sex scenes in "Desperate Houswives" as it’s on ABC so maybe they are really "desperate." Then again the only nudity on "Big Love" has been Bill Paxson’s bum which is a bit disappointing.

Second, I need to clarify my title subject. The wives (and maybe the older daughter and mother) in "Big Love" aren’t desperate - they’re working to satisfy their family, financial, personal needs and are probably in control more than it seems.

I don’t know I might be fishing for something here, but I’m still sticking with "Big Love" for a while.

Besides, Harry Dean Stanton is the greatest actor of our age.



1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Brooke is probably correct (as always). I just have to pay closer attention to the plot developments. I am glad to hear there will be a season two - I'm fantasizing its themes will be "The Revenge of the Nicky" or "How Margene Got Her Groove Back" or "Barb Wire."

My other reason to watch Big Love is the amazing opening theme music:

"God Only Knows," by the Beach Boys

I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I’ll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I’d be without you

If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

God only knows what I’d be without you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home