Friday, May 19, 2006

How did American pseudo Idols find me?



KARAOKE = Empty Orchestra


As some of you know, I'm allergic to Karaoke. My main gripe (besides for the utter lack of talent by the folks who take it seriously) is the extensive song lists never include punk rock: The Sex Pistols, White Stripes, Minutemen or even "Radio Ga Ga" (how cool would the hand claps be a la Wembley in a small dive bar?). So I was amazed to get on the Worcester Centrum's (DCU Center?) spam e-mail list last week for pre-sale tickets to American Idols Live Tour 2006. While I love the product sponsorship of Pop*Tarts, I'll be skipping this tour.

Yikes, $37.25 - $71.25 to see way too many useless Karaoke singers.

P.S. Brief history lesson: Karaoke dates back to the 1970s - we have Japanese audio freak Inoue Daisuke to blame for the invention, but other nameless, heartless souls profited from his legacy and technology. So, I eastimate that since that time, there have probably been 2.5 million active Karaoke machines, and probably 2.5 billion people who have done shots of various liquors and decided to try this. As mentioned, there are also the scary people who think they are good at this and might be famous.

So a rhetorical question, bloggers and lurkers, in the history of Karaoke, has anyone become Almost Famous or even made a recording as good as "Dirty" or "Don't Stop til You Get Enough."


4 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Queen of Spin (Susan K) said...

Who needs to pay to go see Karaoke when you can go to the local bar and see people singing badly for free and have an adult beverage to go along with it?

Nothing beats that.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

We just had a mini revolt break out in the office when I answered the question "was I disappointed about the results of American Idol?" with my thoughts on why I hate American Idol (actually only seen it 2-3 times in four years) and feel it is the embodiment of Karaoke Kulture of America. The singing is horrible, the covers are tedious and predictable, but I will grant you that Simon Cowell is amazing - he's also a great business person to suck in millions in sponsors, tours, CDs from the teeming masses of ignoramuses (sp?) who really don't like music.
In terms of significance, the number of Cingular phone callers who pad their favorite is not a mark of cultural significance or predictor talent. IMnot-soHO, MySpace is vastly more significant to fostering band/performer loyalties by generating a worldwide platform for me to find, listen, read, watch cool (or lame) music.
I'd further argue that rags like Spin, Rolling Stone and great WiredNews.com-housed blog site Listening Post play a huge role in building the next big thing.
Hello Topazers and lurkers, were Sia, Artic Monkeys, Belle & Sebastian or Bloc Party ever on a crap TV talent show?
Please drop me a note when the new season of AI (no not Artificial Intelligence – far from it actually) starts - I kinda like 15 minutes of the early reject freak shows.
As Randy says, "I feel you dawg."

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Queen of Spin (Susan K) said...

AZ - I'm with ya 110%. I think I said this morning, why am I going to waste many nights a week on AI when I prefer Rockstar and only waste one night a week? This kinda reminds me of Star Search? Anyone?

The only people making $ are Fox and the judges. Seriously what has Paula Abdul done since Rush, Rush? And Randy Jackson is just a cool bass player but little does anyone remember he filled in for Ross Valory of Journey when they kicked his butt out of the band. Simon is just a money-hungry man.

Just my opinion though, feel free to disagree.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Queen of Spin (Susan K) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home