Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Favorite Holiday Tunes

Vodkapundit has posted a list of "50 Things You Ought to Have on Your Christmas Playlist." Yes, it's that time of year to dig deep into your CD/Vinyl/Cassette/iPod collection and play your favorites-- I'll say "holiday" in case anyone has a favorite Hannukah/Kwanzaa/general Wintertime song they like to hear this time of year (I'll hear no "PC" complaints).

Aside from some obvious chestnuts (get it?), I have a few offbeat suggestions:

"I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday" by Roy Wood. This was a big hit in Britain (a #1 I think), not so much in the US, but a great piece of Phil Spector-style "Wall of Sound" pop by one of the founders of ELO.

"What Will Santa Claus Say (When He Finds Everybody Swingin'?" by Louis Prima-- for the swingers (as in swing music-- I know what you are thinking, Optimist!) in the crowd.

"Christmas at the Zoo" by the Flaming Lips. Just something about that song makes me smile.

Suggestions?

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Do They Know Its Christmas Time. BandAid. Every cool british band of the 80s was there. Well a lot of them were. Okay, fine, some of them were.

Christmas at Ground Zero: Weird Al

Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You: Billy Squire

Reggae Christmas: Bryan Adams and Pee Wee Herman

Rocking in the Christmas New Year: The Fools.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Doug Haslam said...

Hey there Gags, great to hear from you--
Which version of "Baby It's Cold.." do you prefer?

I love Ray charles and Betty Carter-- but the version in "Elf" is real cute, though I don't know if it would work outside of the film.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Welcome back Ashley!

I agree with Terry on Band Aid and would add "Merry Xmas (War is Over)" in a similar political vein. Also like "2000 Miles" by the Pretenders.

Worst/Tackiest of all time has to be: "Santa Claus Has Got The Aids This Year" by Tiny Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home