Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Favorite Holiday Tunes

Vodkapundit has posted a list of "50 Things You Ought to Have on Your Christmas Playlist." Yes, it's that time of year to dig deep into your CD/Vinyl/Cassette/iPod collection and play your favorites-- I'll say "holiday" in case anyone has a favorite Hannukah/Kwanzaa/general Wintertime song they like to hear this time of year (I'll hear no "PC" complaints).

Aside from some obvious chestnuts (get it?), I have a few offbeat suggestions:

"I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday" by Roy Wood. This was a big hit in Britain (a #1 I think), not so much in the US, but a great piece of Phil Spector-style "Wall of Sound" pop by one of the founders of ELO.

"What Will Santa Claus Say (When He Finds Everybody Swingin'?" by Louis Prima-- for the swingers (as in swing music-- I know what you are thinking, Optimist!) in the crowd.

"Christmas at the Zoo" by the Flaming Lips. Just something about that song makes me smile.

Suggestions?

5 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Do They Know Its Christmas Time. BandAid. Every cool british band of the 80s was there. Well a lot of them were. Okay, fine, some of them were.

Christmas at Ground Zero: Weird Al

Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You: Billy Squire

Reggae Christmas: Bryan Adams and Pee Wee Herman

Rocking in the Christmas New Year: The Fools.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Ashley Gags said...

I'll be home for Christmas

Any Adam Sandler Holiday Tune

Baby its cold outside


Lots of love from the Westcoast Office

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger DougH said...

Hey there Gags, great to hear from you--
Which version of "Baby It's Cold.." do you prefer?

I love Ray charles and Betty Carter-- but the version in "Elf" is real cute, though I don't know if it would work outside of the film.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Welcome back Ashley!

I agree with Terry on Band Aid and would add "Merry Xmas (War is Over)" in a similar political vein. Also like "2000 Miles" by the Pretenders.

Worst/Tackiest of all time has to be: "Santa Claus Has Got The Aids This Year" by Tiny Tim

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ashley Gags said...

Its good to be back Adam!

My favorite would have to be the version Elf. Its the best! (Elf good also be in the top 10 Christmas Movies but I think that is a different blog)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home