Thursday, June 23, 2005

A return to the days of records (iPods) skipping?

I'm loading a lot of tunes onto an iPod these days. A couple of older CDs have me thinking about the days of LPs skipping on old beat-on turntables. Back in the day, I actually liked that my LPs and subsequent tapes had little blips and skips - it was an extra identifier and it seemed strangely absent when I heard the "radio" versions. Well, it seems like blips and digital skips are appearing in my iTunes Library or usually just on my computer sound system. Seems like large file albums (Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" and "Warehouse" come to mind) are the most prone. Besides for actually cleaning a disc occasionally and not bumping into my computer, is there something I can do? Actually, I'm not that concerned - let the digital skip age begin!

5 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger DougH said...

Then let this be a reminiscence of our favorite blips and skips!

Digital distortion and "skips" aren't nearly as interesting to me as the analog kind.

One of my memories haunts me every time I play Led Zeppelin II. I still expect the song "Heartbreaker" to fade out in the middle, then come back again, as I had this album on 8-track (explanatory link provided as a courtesy to young'uns).

I'll try to think of some favorite record skips from the past.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger anne said...

I've found that my iPod skips if my screensaver comes on during the transfer process. May be an Apple quirk.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

I have a sony walkman. It plays tapes. I am happy.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Tim Burton said...

I use ClearChannel stations on the computer. New music no batteries!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Tom F said...

Regarding record skipping, here's a childhood memory.

I grew up in a family of seven. Five boys and two girls. On rainy summer afternoons, five boys can get bored, and when boredom strikes the mischief -often destructive and malicious -begins.

One of our favorite activities when we had nothing better to do was to take a coin - usually a quarter - and scratch the hell out of an old layabout LP that nobody listened to. The fun was in playing the record after it had been scratched and laughing at the awful sounds that came out of the speakers. Well, one afternoon we abused a Herman's Hermits album in this way (http://www.hermanshermits.com/). They had a big pop hit that you still might ocassionally hear on an oldies-oldies station (were talking 60's oldies) called "There's a kind of hush." It goes something like this: "There's a kind of hush, all over the world ... tonight! There's a kind of hush of people falling in love!"

Anyway, we mightily scored that Herman's Hermits album with a quarter, then put it on the turntable. It played beautifully without a single skip. We took it off the turntable, and each one of us took a turn at scratching it up again. Back to the turntable and still not a single skip, screech, pop, or hissing sound out of the speakers.

At that point, everyone was a little spooked, so we returned Herman's Hermits to its sleeve and jacket and moved on to some other destructive activity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home