Thursday, June 23, 2005

A return to the days of records (iPods) skipping?

I'm loading a lot of tunes onto an iPod these days. A couple of older CDs have me thinking about the days of LPs skipping on old beat-on turntables. Back in the day, I actually liked that my LPs and subsequent tapes had little blips and skips - it was an extra identifier and it seemed strangely absent when I heard the "radio" versions. Well, it seems like blips and digital skips are appearing in my iTunes Library or usually just on my computer sound system. Seems like large file albums (Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" and "Warehouse" come to mind) are the most prone. Besides for actually cleaning a disc occasionally and not bumping into my computer, is there something I can do? Actually, I'm not that concerned - let the digital skip age begin!

2 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Doug Haslam said...

Then let this be a reminiscence of our favorite blips and skips!

Digital distortion and "skips" aren't nearly as interesting to me as the analog kind.

One of my memories haunts me every time I play Led Zeppelin II. I still expect the song "Heartbreaker" to fade out in the middle, then come back again, as I had this album on 8-track (explanatory link provided as a courtesy to young'uns).

I'll try to think of some favorite record skips from the past.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

I have a sony walkman. It plays tapes. I am happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home