Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI's Top 100 Film Quotes

Top 100 (or 10 oe whatever) lists are fun if you don't take them as definitive, but as an opportunity to argue, augment, or comment. To that end, the American Fim Institute has releases a list of the 100 top film quotes of all time. My first reaction, of course, is to add some favorites that didn't make the list:

"Put the Bunny Back in the Box"-- Con Air
"I'm wearing a cardboard belt"-- The Producers
"Ula, go to work"-- The Producers
"Actors are not animals, they're human beings!" "They are? Have you ever eaten with one?"-- the Producers (Ok, you probably sense a pattern here)
"Mongo! Santamaria!"-- Blazing Saddles
"What're you rebelling against, Johnny?" "Whaddya got?"-- The Wild Ones
"Son, you got a panty on your head."-- Raising Arizona
"Take Hitler and stick him on the funny page."-- His Girl Friday
"Fellas... I don't recognize the right of this committee to ask that kind of question. And furthermore, you can all go f*** yourselves."-- The Front
"I'm very fond of children. Girl children, around eighteen and twenty."-- The Bank Dick

2 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Dough,
I'm guessing I'm not repeating any on the list - here's comedies with my usual early 80s bias (probably slightly paraphrased here, but you get the point):

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" - Animal House
"I'm a loner, I'm a rebel, Dottie" - Pee Wee's Big Adventure

A quick break from this list:
Pee-wee: I'm here to see Francis!
Butler: Francis is busy.
Pee-wee: Busy doing what?
Butler: He's having his bath.
Pee-wee: Oh, really?
Where are they hosing him down?

"But you can't leave, the plants will die" - Stripes
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Another break needed:
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

Finally, anything that Madonna says in 'Swept Away'

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Best line ever:
"I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick as$. And I am all out of bubblegum." Rowdy Piper, They Live.

And anything from Evil Dead or Army of Darkness. Even the credits are funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home