Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The most important question: Diamond Dave or Sammy

My first blog has to do with a simple question that will help me to understand the inner core of every person born between 1965 and 1990. Was Diamond David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar the best lead singer for Van Halen?

This simple test will show what type of person you really are. If you answered Diamond Dave, you have a keen sense of style, are a fun person to be around and people respect you. If you answered Sammy Hagar, you probably suffered a debilitating head injury at some point in your life. And if you are wondering why I didn't include that guy from Extreme, you can just shoooosh and go back to humming Hole Hearted and wondering why Extreme couldn't last for 4 albums.

Now I am not saying that Sammy is not cool. He can belt out a rock tune. He taught me that driving 55 was for squares and taught me about Mexican culture and tequilla. I like 5150 and Apolitical Blues is a good song. But he is no Diamond Dave. Diamond Dave was as cool as they come. Diver Down and 1984 were great albums. They were the band that your mom warned you about. Even his first couple of solo albums were good (I challenge you to not like Yankee Rose.)

So that is the starting point for my musical belief system. David Lee Roth prior to 1990 was a rock god. Any other answer is heresy.

I also believe in the importance of embracing your inner cheese. You should enjoy Warrant. Quiet Riot taught me to love again. Kool Moe Dee is awesome. And Hall & Oates deserve your respect.

I will be working to show you the path to enlightenment through enjoyment of cheesy pop music and hair bands. My next blog will be a critical look at what Duran Duran song is the best and why.

Cheesy

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Doug Haslam said...

To parpahrase Bill Terry: "Is Van Halen Still in the league?"

I thought DLR was a damn clown, but at least he was entertaining. there was nothing about VH after left that could keep me interested, as good a player as Ediie VH is.

As far as his solo material, he should have just told people to go and buy the old Louis Prima records rather than subject the public to his covers of them. Gruesome...

I know Van Halen has had Roth back on occasion, but somehow I don't think it could ever be the same...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Are we presenting internal awards for perfect posts? Dough's is in the running.

Not that anyone asked, but Dave TV was hilarious and my fav VH disc is probably "Fair Warning."

Again, not that anyone asked, but can you buy the VH necklaces on eBay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home