Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Rolling Stones at Fenway

My wife's parents-- both of whom are older than Mick Jagger-- will be going to the Rolling Stones Concert at Fenway next week. Neither is what I could call a Stones fan. I know the topic of 60's rock bands touring themselves beyond retirement age is old, but this is a new (ahem) wrinkle.

I think this has more to do with the Stones becoming a corporate--and corporation friendly-- enterprise (remember the cover of Fortune a couple of years ago?) than it does about the age of their fans. the concert has become an "event" accessible by the well-connected, and Fenway season-ticket holders, or those who want to scrape up 450 clams (or thousands from scalpers no doubt) to see the Stones before Satan finally shows up to claim his side of the bargain.

The other issue of the Stones is their albums-- has anyone really listened to a Stones studio album since "Undercover" (I use that example as it was a follow-up to the popular "Tattoo You," not because it was one of their better albums)? Who buys these things? Will they do anything worth listening to on the new album? I think I'll stick with my copy of "Beggar's Banquet" and "The London Years" singles collection.

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Hey, Steel Wheels is a good album. And Harlem Shuffle rocks. You just shhhhhhh.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Hey tom, I like the word shhhhh. Shhhhh is great. Shhhhh is borderline fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home