Tuesday, August 09, 2005

10 years since Jerry Garcia's long strange trip ended?

I skipped almost all of the 10 years since the passing of Kurt Cobain articles (although HBO's "Six Feet Under" had a great, subtle tribute last week), so I'll probably pass on significance of Jerry Garcia articles too.

Personal anecdotes can be a bit too personal, but this is pretty good:
"Reflections: random memories of Jerry Garcia," by Stewart Oksenhorn in the Aspen Times

Much shorter and even PR related is this one from Shel Holtz
A long, long time to be gone

I was never a huge fan (hated the Dead in high school; saw my first show summer after undergrad; saw maybe a half dozen other shows - all very interesting), but here are my memories posted on Shel's site:

I know we’ll never get back the brain cells from 10 years ago (or previous Dead experiences), but a remembrance from a decade ago:
I was at my grad school buddy Thomas Helland’s apartment in Boston and we were just staring at the wall listening to the radio reports of Jerry Garcia. We decided movement was needed so somehow elected to drive to the orignal Samuel Adams brewery nearby. We were too late for a formal tour, but they let us in for short self-guided. Soon, we wound up at the tasting room and saw that company founder Jim Koch is serving beers to a small number of contest winners from a radio station in Milwaukee. After several samples, the Milwaukee DJ hands us the live mic and we wish all our friends at Shotz Brewery (remember Laverne & Shirley?) all the best from Boston’s best brewery.

Somehow, I think Jerry would have approved.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

kfw,
Isn't Coulter a deadhead too?

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Personally, I'd rather hang out with Bill Walton at a show.

They both talk way too much, but probably chilled out when they were in the Phil Zone.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Jerry Garcia is dead? Bummer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home