Monday, June 20, 2005

Spin This!

Spin Magazine has released their list of the best albums of the past twenty years. No wonder I listen to talk radio! What a load of crap this list is. Nirvana, ok, maybe. Pavement? Who the bleep are they? PJ Harvey? Twenty ugliest human beings on earth list, ok, a list of the best music, no, no, a thousand times no.

SPIN'S TOP 10
1. "OK Computer," Radiohead
2. "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back," Public Enemy
3. "Nevermind," Nirvana
4. "Slanted and Enchanted," Pavement
5. "The Queen Is Dead," Smiths
6. "Surfer Rosa," PIxies
7. "3 Feet High and Rising," De La Soul
8. "Sign 'O' the Times," Prince
9. "Rid of Me," PJ Harvey
10. "Straight Outta Compton," N.W.A

KFWBlogger's Top 5 of the Past twenty years (in no particular order)

Milk Cow Blues, Willie Nelson
American, Johnny Cash
LIVE AT THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE BELFAST, Van Morrison
Joshua Judges Ruth, Lyle Lovett
Odelay!, Beck

Actually, the better title for this list would be, 'only five albums I have bought in past twenty years'

What I really love listening to,

Top 5 Jazz Albums (in no particular order)

Yardbird Suite, Charlie Parker
Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Bill Evans
Round About Midnight, Miles Davis
Live at Basin Street, Clifford Brown and Max Roach
Live in Paris, Diana Krall

Top 5 Grateful Dead CD's

Dick's Picks 33, Day on the Green, Oakland, 10/10/76
Dick's Picks 8, Harpur College, Binghamton, NY, 5/2/70
Dick's Picks 25, Springfield Civic Center in Springfield, Massachusetts on 5/11/78
Dick's Picks 30, Academy of Music in New York City, 3/28/72
Dick's Picks 1, Tampa, Florida 12/19/73.

8 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger DougH said...

My Top 5 Jazz CDs:
--Straight No Chaser, Thelonious Monk
--Miles Ahead, Mile Davis and Gil Evans
--And His Mother Called Him Bill, Duke Ellington
--Jimmy Smith -- House Party (only becuase I have to include a Jimmy Smith album-- could throw in any from that era)
--Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (Candid)-- has "Original Faubus Fables" on it.

My top 5 Grateful Dead Albums:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

I'm going to have to think about pop albums from the last 20 years, because my heart lies in older music-- but there I do have some worthwhile things

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Sorry KFW,
I really like the Spin list (except for "Nevermind" - they should have remained a cool punk bar band and I would sub out "Rid of Me" (although I like the 'Highway 61' cover) for Polly Jean Harvey's "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea"). Not that anyone asked in this format but here goes:

My Ten Desert Island iPod entries:
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Beatles - Revolver
The Clash - London Calling
Toots and the Maytalls - Funky Kinston
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives & Hot Sevens (multiple recordings) Pucini - La Boheme

If pushed for Top 20 ...
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head Radiohead - Kid A
Beck - Odelay
Bob Marley - Catch a Fire
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth
Elvis Costello - Trust
Prince - Sign 'o' the Times
Pixies - Death to the Pixies
X - See How We Are

In relation to KFW's list, I really like the "Live in Paris" from Diana Krall - it's on the iPod! As for the Dead, (not heavy on my play list) I guess I'd go with "Workingman's Dead," Jerry Garcia's first album, the second day of Oxford, Maine 1988, fourth day of Boston Garden 1991 and the recently snagged Springfield, Oregon, August 1972.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Rating albums is a useless excercise. Sort of like rating favorite fruits. Just because you like bananas and consider them the king of all fruits, doesn't mean I have to.

But if we have to, we need to agree upon what exactly an album is. Is it all new material? Live albums? Greatest hits? And is there a minimum album sales requirement (I am sure some garage band from eastern Slobovia put out a Mozart-esque album that only two jerks heard. But that shouldn't considered.)

Honestly, the only new album to spin my wheels in recent years is the Killer's Hot Fuzz. And Fishbone's Truth and Soul should be considered a must play.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger The Optimist said...

O, and Live's "Throwing Copper" is a top album of the past decade. Anyone who denies this will be sent to salem and turned into a newt.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Hey The Optimist, My favorite fruit is a nectarine - You know where you stand with a nectarine. Since this should be a music-related post, my wife's former boss Deborah Henson-Conant (http://www.hipharp.com) recorded and performs a hilarious song about watermelons, of course called "Watermelon Boogie." DHC is also the founder and curator of the inspiring, amazing Burnt Food Museum.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger I love SAMMY said...

What does every Dead fan say when they sober up? Man, these guys suck :D

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Ashley Gags said...

Keeping on topic:
I have decided my top dance albums in the past 10 years. I am only going with top 5. I know you are all going to judge me so whatever here they are:
1. Justin Timberlake- Justified
2. Madonna- The Immaculate Collection
3. Christina Aguiliera- Stripped
4. Destiny's Child- Survivor
5. NSYNC- No Strings Attached

I know I sound like something out of American Idol but it still rocks! Don't knock it till you have listened.

Also if you have never heard Kayne West's Workout Plan do its awesome!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Adam Zand said...

Wow, Ashley's post deserves a new title I think - Care to move it and then I'll jump in to this one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home