Friday, June 24, 2005

Little Ditty ..., b'out John Cougar Mellencamp

Generally, I'm a fairly mild-mannered fellow, but when I hear a John Cougar Mellencamp song on the radio, my blood starts to boil. I'm not sure when I started having these volatile reactions, or why, but I can't bear listening to any of his songs. As a young tuff (Right!) in the 80's I grooved to John Cougar's (sans Mellencamp) down home, soulful pop tunes about young kids "tryin' the best they can." Then came "Farm Aid" and all of that honkey-tonk, harmonica-driven country twangish stuff, and I started to tune out. Still, I did not revile his music.

But now when I hear one of his songs, I feel compelled to call the DJ at the radio station to find out why they still play his music. I want to start an action committee to ban his songs from the air waves. They just sound so stupid. But, of course, when it comes to truly getting organized and mobilizing the masses, I don't have the time or the energy to devote to this cause. Would be interesting to hear other tales of "allergic" reactions to popular music.

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Ashley Gags said...

You sound just like me but with the Dave Matthew's Band. I can not stand them!! I think all of their songs sound exactly the same and everyone says "but you have to see them in concert they are so amazing!" Newsflas: They are amazing because everyone is high at their concerts (true story). Every Dave Matthew's Band Song I have ever heard always sounds exactly same as the other ones just with different words.

Great post Tom by the way!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger DougH said...

I felt that way about Johnny Cougar when his songs first came out-- couldn't stand them.-- but I have actually mellowed with age-- I even own a (gasp!) greatest hits CD, plus I actually enjoyed one of his recent CDs, "Cuttin' Heads."

ITA with the Dave Matthews thing-- "Crash" makes me crazy-- thought the previous album is ok, I'm just sick of his whining.

If the topic is "what pop musician makes my blood boil over," I will go with Lenny "Gladys" Kravitz. He is such a fraud. Every thing he does is a pale imitation of something else (starting with Hendrix and going doen from there). I have absolutely no use for that faker.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger The Optimist said...

Not liking John Cougar makes you a communist. Please report directly to the FBI. Pinko.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home